It was possible to obtain cocrystals with spherical morphology using the spray-drying technique, obtaining two cocrystal systems: ASA-GLY and ASA-L-CYS. With what is sought to optimize the pharmaceutical and technological effect of drugs with amino acids. Spray drying can be used to obtain cocrystals in a single step considering technological advantages over other implemented techniques such as evaporation, in turn the pharmaceutical importance of both raw materials since amino acids have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity, being of great Interest for obtaining cocrystals, as well as considering that acetylsalicylic acid is one of the pain relief drugs. The raw materials and the products obtained were characterized by techniques such as Ft-IR and Raman, with which the displacement of the carbonyl in the drug-amino acid interaction is identified by means of hydrogen bonding, another technique that demonstrates the obtaining of cocrystals is the diffraction of X-rays of powders, since the diffraction patterns of the raw materials are different from those of the products obtained, considering signals that are not in the drug and amino acids, as well as obtaining products with a high degree of crystallinity and not amorphous. In addition to the carbonyl shifts identified in 13C NMR-MAS, the structure of the ASA-GLY and ASA- L-CYS cocrystal between the -COOH and -NH2 groups of the drug and the amino acid can be proposed. The thermal behavior of the cocrystals obtained differs from that of the raw materials, as well as the energy required for the fusion of said systems, demonstrating good thermal stability, which is also important for obtaining medicines. Considering the above, a great boost for pharmaceutical engineering for technological research and development.
Audience Takeway Notes:
- The unitary drying operation can be used in various laboratory and industrial areas, being of great power in the food, pharmaceutical and material areas.
- The analysis of the products obtained highlights the importance of the characterization of materials to rule out or confirm the obtaining of new compounds of interest in a given area.
- In the project developed, it is possible to highlight the application of design of experiments and optimization of processes at the laboratory level to obtain a morphology of interest that has a great pharmaceutical advantage over the comparison of particles of another morphology.
- The use of a "one-step" unit operation can speed up synthesis times compared to other operations, whether at the laboratory or industrial level, opening up a wide range of uses for spray drying in industry.
- The developed project can open guidelines for the improvement of pharmacological and technological characteristics in the area of crystal engineering.